Posted on October 24, 2019
Living the 9-5 life isn’t for everyone. There are different reasons why this lifestyle is not what you might want and why you want to live life on your own terms.
Therefore, why not learn how to transition from an employee to a business owner.
Starting a business just because you’re tired of working for someone else or because you want more money isn’t sustainable. You wouldn’t marry someone only because you didn’t feel like being alone anymore, would you? So why would you become a business owner just for the money? However, starting your own business is hard work. Not just physically and financially, but mentally too.
To have the right mindset is probably the most crucial aspect of this journey. Without it, you will see setbacks as failures, get frustrated and give up instead of ploughing further ahead with your head held high.
Even if you make a lot of money, it won’t sustain you in the long haul if you are not passionate about what you’re doing and fully believe that you are bringing value to others.
Become a Business Owner
To start a business, you have to have a strong desire to solve a problem(s) and change the world, something you feel called to do—it’s in your DNA. If your gut tells you that it’s what you’re meant to do, pay attention to it. If the universe is trying to tell you something, it’s a good idea to listen. Otherwise, you risk spending the rest of your life wondering what might have been.
Whatever your reasoning, the path isn’t always as clear as you would like it to be. You need to look at the following:
- Change your mindset
- Fund your endeavour
- Learn to trust your gut
Starting a business can seem overwhelming and complicated. There are so many things to consider apart from just coming up with an excellent idea that will make you the next Bill Gates or Richard Branson. From registering a company, all the way to business planning, fundraising, recruiting, marketing…it is tough. And not just practically, or financially but emotionally, too.
Is it going to cost a significant amount to set up your business?
This is a key factor in whether your business could work, as it depends on your resources and your ability to raise finance if needed.
- Put yourself in challenging new situations. You gain confidence by overcoming challenges.
- Find a mentor It’s important to find a mentor who will support and encourage you to reach for higher goals, to take the next step and to push yourself to succeed in business.
- Think of failure as a learning opportunity Failure is an outstanding learning opportunity, even if at the time you may not think so. If you find yourself succeeding frequently you are not challenging yourself enough.
- Develop a mindset that views failure as an experience to learn from, and you will find it is easier to take risks and set bigger goals.
- Surround yourself with the right kind of people & top talent. Surrounding yourself with people that get you is paramount to your success.
- Surround yourself with talented individuals who can teach you new things and who can encourage you to grow personally and professionally.
- Take action. Understand that you cannot wait for things to happen. To be a successful business owner requires you to take action and often without over-analysing.
- Don’t wait until you save a lot of money or have an extensive business plan to start. Do that, and your idea may never see the light of day. By doing what you love, you attract things you want, even if you haven’t figured out how to monetize it yet.
- It is important to realise that what we think, is often not to our benefit, especially when our thoughts turn negative.
- Listen to your instincts. Part of developing a winning mindset is learning to trust your instincts. Trusting your gut is a critical component of business success.
- Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure.
If you don’t come from a sales or marketing background and have never owned a business before, you may not be aware of how best to market your businesses. As with all digital marketing and especially online marketing, it is absolutely essential that you know who your end target customer is.
1. Create an avatar
The ideal way to understand who your customer is is by creating an Avatar. An avatar is a made-up persona representing your ideal customer. Be specific about the story of your avatar, the more details the better. Use your avatar to, not only find where your target market spends their time but also to brainstorm marketing avenues.
2. Find where your avatar hangs out
Once you identified your Avatar, you need to pick one or two marketing channels. Don’t spread your focus too much. Focus on one or two platforms. Once you’ve mastered them, you can always move on to the next. Social media marketing channels might include
- Your website & SEO
- Google Search
- Email Marketing
The channel that you pick is going to depend on where your strengths lie and what you feel comfortable with. If you like being on Video then Youtube would be a good fit. If however, you prefer writing, FB, Google, LinkedIn and email marketing might be your best bet.
For more tips on different platforms visit our Useful Marketing Resources.
Finding Your Inspiration as A Business Owner
We are all different. We identify with different schools of thought and are motivated by different things. Whoever you identify with, whether it’s Tony Robinson, Gary V, Dr Joe Dispenza, your best friend or your partner, make sure to find someone that inspires you.
In addition to this find a practice or ‘indulgence’ that helps you to cultivate this emotion of self-belief. It might be any of the following or perhaps something completely different:
- yoga practice
- daily meditations
- joining the 5 am club
- going to the gym
- joining an art class
However, make it a practice and stick to you. Self-care should always be at the top of your list of priorities.
Last, but not least, believe in yourself and your ability to make a success of anything you put your mind to. Whether it is transforming from an employee to a business owner or just the fact that you can have the life you dream of by believing it.
About the Author:
Transform Your Life is aimed at helping people in their transition from employee to a successful business owner. Lena and Michelle try to bridge spirituality with the digital world through their blogs and affiliate marketing advice. They each run separate businesses to this and have fun relaying their experiences with digital marketing and their own spirituality through this great platform.